Monday, January 19, 2009

Long Walks, Sunny Days...

The weather has been beautiful out here in the Pacific Northwest for the past few days.  It's been a little cold, but it's been sunny.  On Friday, I met up with a mom from one of my groups to go for a walk on the Fanno Creek Trail.  I figured we'd walk for about 30 minutes or so, because that's how long most people walk.  Since we were meeting at the library, I decided to walk there.  It turns out that this particular mom just happens to teach some exercise classes at the gym down the street, and we walked almost the entire length of the Fanno Creek Trail (at least to where it hits Hall Blvd. in Beaverton) and back.  I think it might be 4 miles each way.  Needless to say, it was a difficult walk back home from the library.  I was tired and hungry.  So when I got home, I nursed E and then went to Burgerville.  I figured I deserved it.  She didn't sleep as well that night as I thought she would.  She was up every two hours to nurse.  It was no big deal.  She slept 7 hours Saturday night, so I can't complain too much.

It's hard to believe how much she's grown in just 10 weeks.  I have a pair of shoes that Jim (the SLP I used to work with) gave me that were too big for her at 3 weeks.  I found them this weekend and put them on her and they were too small. Frown  Not that she really needs shoes right now, but still.  It's a bummer.  She can still fit into her 0-3 month outfits, but that won't last too long, and she's growing out of her small gdiaper pants.  We now have her in the medium pants with the small liners.  My firend Janet says that worked for her son when he was between sizes.  She hasn't had too many blow outs since then.

The nice thing about her growing up is that she's cooing more, anticipates activities, and doesn't cry too much.  Of course, she never cried too much to begin with.  We have begun a bedtime routine.  I learned that even though she doesn't really fall asleep until 10 or 10:30, we have to start the routine by 9:00 or she'll do nothing but scream.  We change her diaper, I brush my teeth, then we say goodnight to daddy and give him kisses.  Then we go into the bedroom and read a book.  Currently, the book is Playtime Peekaboo.  After the book, I put the book away, say "Goodnight, E" and turn off the light.  Then I crawl into bed with her and nurse her off to sleep.  It's a good routine, and in the time it takes for me to turn off the light and get into bed (about 2 seconds), she has already turned on her side, ready to nurse.

We're starting "Itsy Bitsy Yoga" this week.  There is a class at the SW Community Center in Multnomah Village.  I'm pretty excited about it.  I think it will be yet another good activity that will help her with self regulation.  The downside is that the class starts at 9:00am.  Who thought that was a good idea?  We're going to have to get up at 7 to make it to class on time.

She has started a new sound, too.  It's a hybrid between a laugh and a squeal.  I've tried to get a video of it, but as soon as I turn on the camera, she's silent.  How does she know this already?

No comments:

Post a Comment