Saturday, February 26, 2011

Borderline

So, I had my 3-hour glucose test about two weeks ago. During the test, I discovered that my doctor's office has a very comfy recliner in the waiting room. I also worked on knitting my first sock. I'm now almost finished knitting the second sock. I plan on wearing them in the delivery room. I doubt I'll wear them while I push the kid out since I was completely naked with E (having just come out of the jacuzzi tub), but I think it would be fun to have them to wear in the room before I get all crazy.

In any case, I survived the test, and Tuesday was my 32 week appointment. Molly, my midwife, explained to me that my test results came back and I'm "borderline." Basically, my glucose levels were stable, but my insulin levels were elevated. Therefore, I have to watch what I eat in order to maintain my blood sugar levels so that my insulin doesn't spike. She told me to cut back on the breads, pasta, rice, starchy veggies, chips, etc. I responded "so...everything I've been craving." Sigh. It hasn't been too difficult. I've looked up some information online, and as long as I start my day with protein, it shouldn't be too difficult. I also discovered greek yogurt, which is Ah-Maze-Ing!

It was very difficult today at Sweet Tomatoes. I really wanted to eat the potato leek soup, and the mac & cheese, and the muffins and bread, and the cheesy scalloped potatoes, and the frozen yogurt... When I complained to Paul what a bitch it was since I'm pregnant and I have every excuse to pig out, he said "Now you know how I feel." Yeah, it sucks to have to change your diet. But when you think about it, why wouldn't you? It's either eat what you want and pay the price (in a higher birth-weight child who ends up with low blood sugar because of extra insulin and has a greater risk of diabetes and obesity, or in Paul's case, pooping blood), or change your diet and feel good. To me, it's a pretty simple choice. Besides, for me, it's just temporary. Just 7 more weeks to go. I can do this for 7 weeks. And it's not really for me, it's for my precious baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment